The Comeback Story Podcast
Hear the untold stories of those who are fighting and overcoming life’s toughest adversities. Through conversations with musicians, creatives, and experts on mental health, find out what it takes to live a happy & fulfilling life. We’re ending the stigma around mental health. Discover your true self-worth, take hold of your life, and write your own comeback story.
- 2: Cam Smith of Hotel Books | How 11 Years of Touring Has Taught Me About How to “Fix” Anxiety & Depression
Cam Smith is a spoken-word poet and frontman of the band Hotel Books. He’s also a certified suicide prevention counselor who’s spent 11 years touring, learning from thousands of people, what they actually need when they’re struggling. We talk about growing up in a small town and a Christian home being afraid to show emotion, How to find the right words for someone when you don’t know what to say, Cam’s tips and unique perspective on living with anxiety, and his personal comeback story.
In this podcast interview, I sit down with Cameron Smith to talk about:
- Growing up in Christian home and being afraid to talk about how you feel
- The difference between religion vs relationship and why some Christians struggle with religion
- What cam Smith learned from being on tour with Hotel books for 11 years
- Why you’re wasting your time if you are trying to “fix” someone with depression
- Cam’s story of coming back from two attempted suicides and how he found his self worth
- How Cam’s Journey with depression and anxiety has influenced Hotel Books Lyrics
This episode is for:
- People who have struggled with depression since childhood, especially growing up in christian homes.
- People who don’t know how to talk to someone or be there for someone that struggles with depression and anxiety.
- Fans of Cameron Smith and the band Hotel Books
“I was denying my potential by not dealing with my pain.”Cam Smith, Hotel Books
“A lot of people do need their problems fixed, But most people need to feel like they’re being heard.”Cam Smith, Hotel Books
“When feeling depressed or anxious, I refuse to make any big decisions….Don’t act out of anxiety or depression and understand that you are bigger than those feelings.”Cam Smith, Hotel Books
- Episode 1: The Moment Depression Got The Best of Me | The Origins of Comeback Story w/ Brady Winder
What happens when the person you love the most has hit rock bottom and can’t pull themselves back up? In this intimate conversation around identity and self-worth, one couple unveils what bridged the gap from depression, anxiety, and suicidal thoughts, to a life of purpose, happiness, and hope. Know someone that’s struggling? Listen in and spread the word.